Suania
Duenas
Final
Project
For the Grand Finale of this
artistic course, I wanted to capture my cubanismo and my Cuban roots. It was important to create something that symbolizes
who I am but at the same time I wanted to do something different, something that
I have never done before.
I wanted to represent Cuba, and I thought
that the best way to do so in this project was by actually creating a silhouette.
I used candles and still life objects such as plants. I also used a few plants
inside the silhouette to add more elements. Finally, I added flowers and
leaves, which are just taken from the garden. I did this in order to enrich the
project a little more.
The decision to wear white was because
I wanted to use other colors for the background. it is very common to wear
white in the Yoruba religion. Also, white represents peace, purity, safety and
that is something I wish Cuba and my people finally get.
I also wanted to add a Cuban cigar
since it is something very common for the cuban culture and also because of
what it means to me. My maternal grandparents played an important role in my
life. My grandfather smoked cuban cigars so I wanted to dedicate this part of the project to
him. Every time I smoke a cuban cigar I think of him and how he contributed to
shape me into the person I am today.
I was inspired by Ana Mendieta to
create this piece, we both come from the same background and the love for our
island. Frida Kahlo also contributed to my inspiration, you can observe how I have
added a lot of flowers and nature. Both artist Mendieta and Kahlo shared that
passion for nature but from my perspective Kahlo added more.
When you see my self-portrait, I hope
that you receive and perceive my love for Cuba and nature. This project is very
different from the midterm because I am adding more to this one in a more
realistic and less abstract way. The artists that we have studied in class
influenced the changes I have made from the midterm to the final.
The media impacts identity and self-presentation
in many ways. Many times, people feel
forced to imitate others in order to fit in with the society or what is popular at the moment. That was
something that I wanted to avoid in this image. I tried to be as creative as possible.
I didn't imitate images taken by other Cubans who are currently famous. I wanted to create something
of my own, and present myself in my own way without thinking/worrying about the spectacle. Although, those of us who have emigrated can relate to the feeling of missing our homeland.


No comments:
Post a Comment