Wednesday, May 1, 2019
Detox
The subject of my project is identity.I decided to use the question marks used in the Spanish language representing my cultural background. The project was inspired by a recent personal experience.Therefore,in my project I try to demonstrate the process through which I went through as I experienced these moments. The question marks indicate the beginning of everything. It all started with the questions of who I was and who I wanted to be. I saw myself facing a situation in which I could stay the same and risk losing someone very important to me or I could try to make changes and see what happens. Which is why I included the leaves, they symbolize growth. Making the decision to change made me realize that I was giving myself the opportunity to grow. I also included the quotes that come in the detox tea by Yogi Bhajan. He is a spiritual teacher that uses the practice of yoga and meditation. His practices also inspired me to discover something new and interesting that I had never tried before, which is why he is included in my project. I decided to use the moss as a representative of natural and organic environment and the connection I always look for between earth and human beings. The materials I used were copper wire, thread,glue,moss,artificial leaves and the tea bag quotes. First I cut the wire and shaped it into the question marks. Then I wrapped it with the thread and repeated the same process for the wires that I used as support. Once they were wrapped I made a hole in the foam board, passed the wires through and glued the excess amount of wire to the back. When they dried in place, I applied glue all over the thread and wrapped the moss around it. The last pieces I glued were the leaves and the tea bag quotes. I first wanted to leave the copper wire bare but added the thread so it could be an easier surface to add the glue. The leaves were attached so the overall composition looked organized. However, the placement (near the quotes) was intentional. It is linked to the theme of growth, previously discussed. The wire was very flexible, indicating the changes we can make in our identity or how we can sometimes adjust for particular situations. In my project I was influenced by Deborah Kass and he (OY/YO) sculpture. Also the font of the words in the background were influenced by Barbara Kruger. I think the project conveys a natural aspect of myself. Mostly because of the elements I used are all related to nature. This project is different from my first because it represent the changes I've had to do in order to be how I am today. My midterm was more about the things that already identify me and that will never change. The changes were influenced by my different experiences and how my environment is constantly changing around me. The words in the background are from the article that discusses Debord's Society of the Spectacle, which states that they "monetize our friendships, opinions and emotions" Also another aspect of the spectacle that influenced my project was John Bergers statement: "Often they refer to the past and always speak of the future". Which is an important aspect of my project because through the process that influenced my portrait there were many aspects in which the outcome was heavily influenced on what I've decided to let affect me and what I chose to turn away from. Also his statement :"It's promise is not of pleasure, but of happiness:happiness as judged from the outside by others." which is very similar to the one I just mentioned. From what I learned in class, I would define the spectacle as the "show" that the media puts on for us. How advertisement is used to persuade society into thinking that they want something and making them believe that they need it. It influences many parts of our lives, even our most personal ones. I added this phrase because throughout the process I used books and references that shared different opinions on subjects I didn't know anything about. Yet throughout the process the phrase reminded me that sometimes in our search for identity the media becomes a point of reference that isn't necessarily beneficial or what the person is actually looking for. It reminded me to inform myself but to also be able to have my own opinions on the matter. My project addresses this situation by portraying how I let the spectacle influence me but also decided to make it a process of my own.
References:
Berger, J. (1980). Ways of Seeing. London: British Broadcasting Corporation.
Bishara, H., ElGenaidi, D., Weber, J., Nair, P., Small, Z., Smith, J., & Tiernan Morgan & Lauren Purje. (2017, May 14). An Illustrated Guide to Guy Debord's 'The Society of the Spectacle'. Retrieved from https://hyperallergic.com/313435/an-illustrated-guide-to-guy-debords-the-society-of-the-spectacle/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment