Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Final

Throughout the semester I have always expressed how important my family
is to me. For my final I’m including family again because they are my identity.
Identity is the person that you are and how you express yourself and they are
the reason I am how I am. Trying to connect with artists is fairly difficult for
me, but with Tom Nussbaum’s artwork, it’s just so simple. The subject of the
project is family. Family is what supports you to grow up in life. From the
moment you’re born until the day that you die, family will “carry you on their
shoulders” like Nussbaum shows in his art in Family Totem. From your first
day of school, to graduation of High School, to earning your degree, to getting
your first job, they will be there with you for the joy ride. This not only including
your mom and dad, but also your siblings, cousins, grandparents, and maybe
children if you have any. But if there was one thing that I didn't agree with
Nussbaum’s Family Totem was that they were stacked on each others shoulders.
Meaning the older you get the lower in the pyramid you go. It’s true that the
older you get, the more support you give, but that doesn't you don't get any.
You can get as much support and love from your children, siblings, friends, etc.
What you give, you get in return. Everyone in your life is essential to the
person that you become. Every new introduction of family or friend, creates
a new side to you that you didn't have before. The content of my project is 5
family members or friends holding hands side by side. The United States
map and the map of Guatemala is to signify the route and the struggle my
parents took to come here to live the American Dream and to give their
children the best life possible. And finally the word family was to show
who the people are, even if they are not literal family. The process was to
paint the background (water) blue and paint the little people and printing out
the maps of the countries along with the word family. The reason I didn't add
more people holding hands is because I wanted you to see that there will
always be new people that enter your life and will have an influence in your
identity. I made the choice to create this project based on family because it
is a huge part of not only my life, but also in millions of other people around
the world. Just like I can connect to Tom Nussbaum’s artwork, other people
can share that connection as well, or even better share a connection with my
project. This project conveys to the audience that they need to reflect on the
people who have gotten them this far in life and thank the people around
them for creating the person that you are today, and for the success that they
have had. And it is important to not only think about literal family because a
friend, a coworker, or even a boss can be considered family for what they
have done. The difference between my midterm and final is I wanted to show
that no matter our background, skin tone, or facial features, everyone's the
same. And with this final I want to show the sacrifice my parents made, how
families supports each other throughout their life, and that anyone important
that comes around in your life will have an influence in your identity, and
they as well will be apart of the people holding hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment